🌍 World

U.S. Rejects Russian President’s Proposal to Extend ‘New Start’ Treaty

الولايات المتحدة ترفض عرض الرئيس الروسي بتمديد معاهدة نيو ستارت

QNA

Washington: The United States rejected Russian President Vladimir Putin’s call to prolong the New START (Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty) treaty for one year unconditionally, describing the notion as a “non-starter.”

The agreement, one of the last restraints on Russia and the United States’ nuclear forces, is set to expire in February 2021. The treaty restricts the numbers of strategic nuclear warheads the pair can deploy as well as the missiles and bombers that carry them.

US National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien said Washington had already proposed a one-year extension to give time to negotiate beyond the treaty’s cessation date but with the understanding that the world’s two biggest nuclear powers would halt warhead work in the interim period.

“This would have been a win for both sides, and we believed the Russians were willing to accept this proposal when I met with my counterpart in Geneva,” O’Brien said in a written statement.

“The United States is serious about arms control that will keep the entire world safe. We hope that Russia will re-evaluate its position before a costly arms race ensues,” he added.

New START, the last major nuclear reduction treaty between the United States and Russia, limits each country to 1,550 nuclear warheads.

Earlier on Friday President Putin proposed a one-year extension without conditions to the accord in a video conference with his security council.

Putin said Russia and the US could use the extension for “sensible negotiations of all the details” and that “it would be a shame if this treaty no longer existed.”

“It is clear that we have new weapons systems that the American side does not have yet,” Putin said, adding that he is also willing to discuss this element.

Putin said New START had been a success by limiting the arms race and controlling weapons. 

قنا

واشنطن: رفضت الولايات المتحدة، العرض الذي تقدّم به الرئيس الروسي فلاديمير بوتين، لتمديد معاهدة “نيو ستارت” لخفض الأسلحة النووية عاماً واحداً “بلا شروط”، وقالت إن العرض”غير مقبول”.

وقال روبرت أوبراين مستشار الرئيس الأمريكي لشؤون الأمن القومي، في تغريدة على /تويتر/، إن “الولايات المتحدة اقترحت تمديداً لمعاهدة /نيو ستارت/ لعام واحد، في مقابل تجميد الرؤوس النووية للولايات المتحدة وروسيا خلال هذه الفترة”.

وأضاف أن “جواب الرئيس الروسي، الساعي إلى تمديد /نيو ستارت/ من دون تجميد الرؤوس النووية غير مقبول”.

وكان الرئيس بوتين اقترح، أمس /الجمعة/، أن تمدد موسكو وواشنطن لمدة عام وبدون شروط معاهدة “نيو ستارت” (ستارت الجديدة)، آخر اتفاقية أساسية بين البلدين للحد من الأسلحة النووية.

ونقل بيان للكرملين عن بوتين قوله، خلال اجتماع المجلس الأمني، “لدي مقترح، وهو تمديد الاتفاق الحالي دون أي شروط مسبقة لمدة عام على الأقل ليتسنى لنا إجراء مفاوضات حقيقية”.

وقد تم التوقيع على اتفاقية /ستارت الجديدة/ في أبريل 2020 لكنها دخلت حيّز التنفيذ في فبراير 2011.. وتبلغ مدة الاتفاقية عشر سنوات قابلة للتمديد.

وزادت حدة التوتر على مدى شهور بشأن مصير المعاهدة التي تحد عدد الرؤوس النووية التي بإمكان واشنطن وموسكو امتلاكها وتنقضي مهلتها في الخامس من فبراير 2021.

وتم التوقيع على الاتفاقية عام 2010 في ذروة الآمال بإعادة إطلاق العلاقات بين موسكو وواشنطن، في عملية قادها الرئيس الأمريكي آنذاك باراك أوباما ونظيره الروسي حينها دميتري ميدفيديف… لكن سرعان ما ارتفع منسوب التوتر مجددا مع عودة بوتين إلى الرئاسة في 2012.

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Email Format