🩺 Health🌍 World

Texas on alert after brain-eating amoeba kills boy, 6

تكساس في حالة تأهب بعد قيام الأميبا الآكلة للدماغ بقتل صبي يبلغ ٦ سنوات

Reuters

Houston: The governor of Texas has issued a disaster declaration after the death of six-year-old boy infected with a brain-eating amoeba that was later found in his community’s water supply.

The child died on September 8 following an infection caused by the amoeba Naegleria fowleri, a microscopic organism that breeds in the warm, freshwater of lakes and rivers and of poorly maintained swimming pools, US media reports said.

The amoeba enters the body through the nasal membranes and penetrates the brain, causing powerful migraine, hyperthermia, stiff neck and vomiting, then dizziness, extreme fatigue, confusion and hallucinations.

Testing revealed traces of the amoeba in the tap of the garden hose at the boy’s house, a spokesman for the town of Lake Jackson said, quoted by local media.

Traces were also found in a fountain in the town centre and in a fire hydrant in a town just one hour away from the major city of Houston, said Modesto Mundo, a city official.

Grandparents of Josiah McIntyre, the deceased child, told the Houston Chronicle that he might have been exposed to contaminated water while he was playing in a splash park downtown, shortly before he fell ill.

The splash park has since been closed and several towns in Brazoria county, where Lake Jackson is located, advised residents to avoid using tap water for drinking, bathing or cooking.

That advice has since been lifted but authorities are urging residents to boil water before using it.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott issued a disaster declaration on Sunday for Brazoria County, which includes Lake Jackson.

The declaration allows authorities to use extra state resources due to an emergency.

Between 1983 and 2010, Texan health authorities have attributed 28 deaths to the amoeba Naegleria fowleri.

رويترز

هيوستن: أصدر حاكم ولاية تكساس إعلاناً عن كارثة بعد وفاة طفل يبلغ من العمر ست سنوات مصاب بأميبا آكل للدماغ التي عُثر عليها لاحقاً في إمدادات المياه في مجتمعه.

وذكرت تقارير وسائل الإعلام الأميركية أن الطفل توفى يوم 8 سبتمبر عقب عدوى سببها اميبا نايجليا فاوليرى ، وهو كائن مجهرى يتكاثر فى المياه العذبة الدافئة للبحيرات والأنهار وحمامات السباحة سيئة الصيانة.

تدخل الأميبا الجسم من خلال الأغشية الأنفية وتخترق الدماغ، مما يسبب الصداع النصفي القوي، وفرط الحرارة، وتصلب الرقبة والقيء، ثم الدوخة والتعب الشديد والارتباك والهلوسة.

ونقلت وسائل الاعلام المحلية عن متحدث باسم بلدة لايك جاكسون قوله ان الاختبارات كشفت عن آثار اميبا فى حنفية خرطوم الحديقة فى منزل الطفل .

وقال موديستو موندو المسؤول فى المدينة أنه تم العثور على آثار فى نافورة فى وسط المدينة وفى صنبور حريق فى بلدة تبعد ساعة واحدة فقط عن مدينة هيوستن الكبرى .

وقال جدي جوزيا ماكنتاير، الطفل المتوفى، لصحيفة هيوستن كرونيكل إنه ربما تعرض لمياه ملوثة بينما كان يلعب في حديقة مياه في وسط المدينة، قبل وقت قصير من مرضه.

ومنذ ذلك الحين تم إغلاق حديقة المياه ونصحت عدة بلدات في مقاطعة برازوريا، حيث تقع لايك جاكسون، السكان بتجنب استخدام مياه الصنبور للشرب أو الاستحمام أو الطهي.

ومنذ ذلك الحين، تم رفع هذه النصيحة، لكن السلطات تحث السكان على غلي الماء قبل استخدامه.

أصدر حاكم ولاية تكساس جريج ابوت إعلان كارثة يوم الأحد فى مقاطعة برازوريا التى تضم لايك جاكسون .

ويسمح الإعلان للسلطات باستخدام موارد إضافية من الدولة بسبب حالة الطوارئ.

بين عامي 1983 و 2010، عزت السلطات الصحية في تكساس 28 حالة وفاة إلى الأميبا نايغليريا فاولري.

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Email Format