🌍 World

Lebanese president receives international report on damage to Beirut port with preliminary estimates of more than $8 billion

الرئيس اللبناني يتسلم تقريرا دوليا حول أضرار مرفأ بيروت بتقديرات أولية تتجاوز ٨ مليارات دولار

BEIRUT:

The massive explosion in Beirut earlier this month that killed and injured thousands of people has caused up to $4.6 billion in physical damage, the World Bank said in a report released Monday.

The Aug. 4 blast was caused by the explosion of nearly 3,000 tons of ammonium nitrate stored at the Port of Beirut since 2014. The blast killed 190 people, injured more than 6,000, left nearly 300,000 people homeless, destroyed much of the port and damaged entire neighborhoods.

The blast was the most destructive single incident in Lebanon’s history with thousands of buildings, including residential homes, hospitals, schools and museums suffering considerable damage.

“This tragedy comes at a terrible time as Lebanon battles deep economic and social crises, exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic,” said the report prepared by the World Bank in cooperation with the United Nations and European Union.

Lebanon is mired in the country’s worst economic and financial crisis in its modern history. It defaulted on paying back its debt for the first time ever in March. Lebanon’s debt stands at about 170% of GDP.

The World Bank said the overall damage incurred as a result of the explosion is in the range of $3.8 billion and $4.6 billion. It added that in the social sectors, housing and culture are the most affected, enduring substantial damage totaling between $1.9 billion and $2.3 billion and $1 billion and $1.2 billion, respectively.

The World Bank also estimated economic activity losses to range between $2.9 billion and 3.5 billion. The public sector reconstruction and recovery needs for 2020-2021 are estimated in the range of $1.8 billion and $2.2 billion, with $760 million needed before the end of the year.

The report added that international aid and private investment will be essential for comprehensive recovery and reconstruction.

The governor of Beirut, Marwan Abboud, earlier estimated the losses caused by the blast to stand between $10 billion and $15 billion.

Also on Monday, Judge Fadi Sawwan, who is leading the investigation into the port blast, issued two arrest warrants against the director of maritime transport at the Ministry of Transportation and a senior port official, state-run National News agency reported.

The new arrest warrants bring the total number of people detained in the case to 21, most of them port or customs officials.

Source: abcnews

بيروت – قنا:

تسلم الرئيس اللبناني العماد ميشال عون، تقريرا من البنك الدولي والأمم المتحدة والاتحاد الأوروبي حول الأضرار التي تسبب بها الانفجار في مرفأ بيروت والذي تضمن تقييما أوليا للأضرار بحوالي 1 ر8 مليار دولار.

وأكد الرئيس عون، خلال استقباله، اليوم، وفدا مشتركا من تلك الجهات الثلاث، أن لبنان سوف ينهض مجدداً من كبوته بدعم المجتمع الدولي، وأن الحكومة المقبلة سوف تركز على خطة للنهوض بهدف مواجهة تداعيات ما حصل خلال الأشهر الأخيرة.

وأعرب عن تقديره للجهود التي قام بها البنك الدولي والاتحاد الأوروبي والأمم المتحدة لدعم لبنان سواء من خلال المساعدات الإنسانية والتقنية التي قدمت، أو من خلال الخبرات التي أرسلت بعد الكارثة التي حلت بلبنان نتيجة الانفجار في مرفأ بيروت.. منوها بالجهد الذي بذله البنك الدولي والاتحاد الأوروبي والأمم المتحدة في إعداد هذا التقرير، مركزا على أهمية الإسراع في ترميم المنازل والمباني المتصدعة والاهتمام بالشق السكني قبل حلول فصل الشتاء حتى تتمكن العائلات المشردة من إيجاد المكان المناسب للسكن.

واعتبر الرئيس اللبناني أن التقرير، الذي أعدته الأطراف الثلاثة، بين الكثير من الأضرار والخسائر الاقتصادية، وحدد حاجات التعافي وإعادة الاعمار، مشيرا إلى أن لبنان يتطلع إلى دعم دولي لإصلاح ما سببه الانفجار الذي زاد الأزمات التي يعيشها لبنان أزمة إضافية.

وضم الوفد السيد “ساروج كومار جاه” المدير الإقليمي للبنك الدولي في الشرق الأوسط، والسيد “رالف طراف” سفير الاتحاد الأوروبي في لبنان، والسيدة “نجاة رشدي” المنسقة المقيمة للمساعدات الإنسانية للأمم المتحدة ، و”رجا ريهان ارشاد” الخبير في البنك الدولي.

وقدم أعضاء الوفد إلى الرئيس عون التقرير الذي أعده البنك الدولي والأمم المتحدة والاتحاد الأوروبي حول الأضرار التي تسبب بها الانفجار في المرفأ وتضمن تقييما أوليا للأضرار، وسيتم تباعا تحديثه كلما توافرت معلومات إضافية.

وأوضح السيد “كومار جاه” أن الخسائر الأولية بلغت حوالي 1ر8 مليار دولار، وتشمل أضرار البنى التحتية والخسائر التي تكبدتها الحركة الاقتصادية، لافتا إلى أن لبنان سيحتاج في مرحلة أولى تنتهي في ديسمبر 2021 إلى ما قيمته 2ر2 مليار دولار من أجل النهوض وإعادة الاعمار، إضافة الى الانكماش الذي سيحصل في الاقتصاد الوطني.

كما تحدث السفير “طراف” فأكد عمل الاتحاد الأوروبي مع الحكومة اللبنانية، مع التشديد على أهمية توحيد الجهود وتنظيم العمل مع القطاع الخاص والمجتمع المدني، متطلعاً الى تشكيل حكومة جديدة شفافة وقادرة على إدارة المال بشكل سليم.

من جانبها، أوضحت السيدة نجاة رشدي أن إعادة بناء الشأن الاقتصادي يقابلها بالأهمية نفسها إعادة بناء الشأن الاجتماعي وتحقيق حاجات الناس والبرامج الخاصة بالاهتمام بهم.

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Email Format