🌍 World

More than 60 missing in Beirut port explosion

أكثر من ستين مفقوداً جراء انفجار مرفأ بيروت

(AFP) Beirut

More than 60 people were still missing in Beirut on Saturday, four days after a huge explosion hit the lebanese capital’s port and killed more than 150 people, the health ministry told AFP.

At least 154 people were killed in the blast, including 25 unidentified people, the source said. More than 5,000 people were injured, 120 of them in critical condition.

Teams from several foreign and Arab countries, including French and Russian, are working on rescue and search operations for the missing in the blast, which changed Beirut’s face within seconds and displaced some 300 million people from their homes in and around the capital.

Families come every day to the entrances to Beirut’s port to hear something about the fate of their loved ones. Yesterday, at least four bodies were recovered from the wheat-inland building, parts of which had collapsed while staff were working inside.

“We must not deceive ourselves, the chances are very slim,” Lt. Col. Andrea of the French relief team, 55, told AFP on Friday, but at the same time many tests have shown that it is possible to recover survivors “in three or four days.”

“The scale of the destruction reminds our team of the 2010 Earthquake in Haiti,” he said.

The security services are investigating the circumstances and causes of the incident, after the authorities announced that 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate had been stored for six years in one of the port’s wards.

بيروت (أ ف ب) 

لا يزال أكثر من ستين شخصاً مفقودين في بيروت السبت بعد أربعة أيام من الانفجار الضخم الذي ضرب مرفأ العاصمة اللبنانية وأودى بحيأة أكثر من 150 شخصاً، وفق ما أكدت وزارة الصحة لوكالة فرانس برس.

وتسبّب الانفجار بمقتل 154 شخصاً على الأقل بينهم 25 شخصاً مجهولي الهوية، وفق المصدر ذاته. وتخطى عدد الجرحى خمسة آلاف، 120 منهم في حالة حرجة.

وتعمل فرق من دول عدة أجنبية وعربية بينها فرنسية وروسية في عمليات الانقاذ والبحث عن المفقودين جراء الانفجار الذي غّير وجه بيروت خلال ثوان وشرّد نحو 300 مليون شخص من منازلهم في العاصمة ومحيطها.

وتحضر عائلات يومياً الى مداخل مرفأ بيروت علّها تسمع شيئاً عن مصير أحبائها. وجرى أمس انتشال أربعة جثث على الأقل من مبنى اهراءات القمح الذي انهارت أجزاء كبيرة منه بينما كان موظفون يعملون داخله.

وقال المقدم أندريا من فريق الإغاثة الفرنسي (55 عاماً) لوكالة فرانس برس الجمعة “علينا ألّا نوهم أنفسنا، الفرص ضئيلة جداً”، لكن في الوقت ذاته أظهرت تجارب عديدة أنه من الممكن انتشال ناجين “بعد ثلاثة أو أربعة أيام”.

وأوضح أن “حجم الدمار يذكر عناصر فريقنا بزلزال هايتي في 2010″، مضيفا “الفرق هنا، ان ما حصل ليس ناجماً عن زلزال بل عن عمل بشري”.

وتحقق الأجهزة الأمنية لكشف ملابسات الحادث وأسبابه، بعدما أعلنت السلطات أن 2750 طناً من نيترات الأمونيوم كانت مخزنة منذ ست سنوات في أحد عنابر المرفأ.

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Email Format