Technology

Roles changed .. Huawei in position of attack and America seeking giants’ help

تبدلت الأدوار.. هواوي في موقف الهجوم وأميركا تستنجد بالعمالقة

Huawei CEO Ren Zhengfei: ‘Shutting Huawei out is the start of the US falling behind’

SHENZHEN, CHINA — In an exclusive interview, Ren Zhengfei, founder and CEO of Huawei, spoke out about the Trump administration’s move to target the Chinese tech giant and emphasized that it does not need U.S. companies in order to survive.

The wide-ranging interview with Yahoo Finance covered the impact of the Trump administration’s previous ban on U.S. companies from selling components to Huawei, whether Huawei poses a security risk to the U.S., and recent setbacks at Huawei’s U.S. research arm, Futurewei.

Despite those hurdles, Ren insisted, “If U.S, companies were to stop supplying us altogether, our production would not stop for a single day in the future. Rather, we would ramp up production. There’s no lethal risk that threatens Huawei’s survival at all.”

The CEO spoke to Yahoo Finance in his first video interview since last month’s G20 summit, when President Donald Trump walked back his decision to ban U.S. companies from selling equipment to Huawei.

Impact of the entity list
On May 16, in a surprising move to some, the U.S. put Huawei on the so-called Entity List, effectively banning the Shenzhen-based firm from doing business with any U.S. companies. In addition to being the world’s biggest smartphone maker, Huawei also sells telecommunications equipment. After Trump put Huawei on the Entity List, Intel and Qualcomm couldn’t sell chipsets to Huawei, and Google’s Android system couldn’t provide updates to Huawei smartphones.

Speaking to Yahoo Finance, Ren acknowledged the company wasn’t fully prepared for being added to the list. Due to concerns about operating system updates, some markets saw Huawei smartphone sales fell as much as 40% in the first two weeks following the ban, according to Huawei executives.

However, after a review, Ren said, Huawei found it’s fully capable of shaking off its reliance on the U.S. for core products, and decided to cut some non-core products that depend on U.S. components.

One month following the initial ban, Trump softened his tone on Huawei after meeting with China’s President Xi Jinping at the G20 meeting in Japan. Since then, small- and medium-sized enterprises in the U.S. have started to ship to Huawei, according to Ren.

“The remarks made by Trump at the G20 Summit have had no substantial impact on Huawei yet,” Ren told Yahoo Finance. “The supply of the vast majority of less critical components has resumed. But the U.S. has not made any decisions on the supply of critical components yet.”

Another centerpiece of the U.S. government’s concerns about Huawei is fifth-generation cellular network technology, or 5G. Huawei’s 5G technology is self-reliant, according to the company, which means it won’t be affected by any U.S. actions. “The more advanced a product is, the fewer risks we face,” Ren said.

Ren also for the first time confirmed layoffs in Futurewei, the U.S.-based research and development subsidiary Huawei was planning to invest $600 million in this year. Due to the entity list, Futurewei can’t send any of their R&D results to Huawei and no employees of Futurewei are allowed to have any contact with Huawei employees.

“This makes it difficult for us to manage this company and collaborate with them,” Ren said. “Now we cannot make further investment because we are not allowed to engage with Futurewei employees. What is our next step? This depends on the U.S. government’s direction.”

“Trump has nothing on us”
Huawei equipment and devices have long been considered as a security risk by U.S. lawmakers, but the Trump administration has targeted the company in an unusual way—by not just limiting its business in the U.S., but also trying to persuade its allies to join the battle to isolate the Chinese company.

This, to Ren, is the U.S. trying to contain Huawei’s advanced technology. Ren, who follows Trump’s tweets, said the president’s stance has changed since the Justice Department filed criminal charges in January accusing the tech giant of stealing trade secrets and violating U.S. sanctions on Iran.

“The U.S. is a country ruled by law, how do legal issues allow negotiations? The law issues should be resolved in courts, right?” Ren asked.

Huawei has filed numerous lawsuits against the U.S. government since its CFO, Meng Wanzhou, was arrested in Canada last November. However, Ren doesn’t believe Huawei poses a security threat to the U.S. “We don’t have any networks in the U.S., nor do we intend to sell our 5G products there anyway,” Ren said. “Trump has nothing on us, and he hopes to use Huawei as a bargaining chip, but China doesn’t seem to buy it, right?”

source: finance.yahoo.com

قال رئيس شركة هواوي إن الحظر الذي تفرضه الولايات المتحدة على شركته هو بداية تخلف الولايات المتحدة عن الركب، وإنها لن تستطيع اللحاق بتكنولوجيا الشركة المتطورة، وهم لن يبيعوها لهم.

وفي هذه الأثناء، يعقد البيت الأبيض غدا الاثنين اجتماعا يحضره مسؤولون في مجال البرمجيات، لمناقشة حظر الولايات المتحدة على مبيعات شركة هواوي.

وجاء حديث رين زهينغفي المؤسس والرئيس التنفيذي لشركة هواوي مع موقع ياهو المالي في مقابلة استمرت لمدة ساعة، موضحا خطط الشركة لإدارة الأزمة مع الحكومة الأميركية، ومفسرا النوايا الكامنة وراء تلك الإجراءات.

وقال رين إن هواوي عانت في أول أسبوعين بعد الحظر، وذلك بسبب المخاوف من استبعاد نظام التشغيل، مضيفا أن الشركة “قادرة تماما على التخلص من اعتمادها على الولايات المتحدة في المنتجات الأساسية”.

وأخبر رين ياهو أنه لا يعتقد أن الشركة تشكل تهديدا أمنيا للولايات المتحدة، وقال إنه “ليست لدينا أي شبكات في الولايات المتحدة، ولا نعتزم بيع منتجات الجيل الخامس لأميركا”.

وأضاف “ليس لدى ترامب أي شيء علينا، وهو فقط يأمل في استخدام هواوي كورقة مساومة، لكن يبدو أن الصين لا تهتم”.

وتابع رين أنه من خلال حظر شركة هواوي فإن الخاسر هو الولايات المتحدة، خاصة فيما يتعلق باتصالات الجيل الخامس.

وقال إنه “حتى لو كانت لديهم أجهزة حاسوب فائقة واتصالات فائقة السعة فقد تظل الولايات المتحدة متأخرة لأنها لا تمتلك اتصالات فائقة السرعة، إيقاف تشغيل هواوي هو بداية التخلف التكنولوجي للولايات المتحدة”.

ورغم أن الحظر يمنع شركة هواوي من الوصول إلى التكنولوجيا الأميركية فإنه يعني أيضا أن الشركات الأميركية قد تخسر أرباحا ووظائف في الولايات المتحدة من الشركة الصينية.

وخلال المقابلة، أكد رين، وفق الجزيرة نت، أن الشركة استغنت عن موظفين في شركة أبحاث وتطوير تابعة لها ومقرها الولايات المتحدة، وأنها خططت لاستثمار 600 مليون دولار في شركة “فيوتشر واوي”.

ولا يعرف كيف ستكون نهاية هذه القصة، ولكن من الواضح أن هواوي لن تتراجع أو تتخلى عن القتال، في حين تخفف الولايات المتحدة القيود المفروضة على الشركة وتحاول أن تجد طريقة لحفظ ماء الوجه.

اجتماع مع عمالقة التكنولوجيا

في هذه الأثناء، قالت مصادر مطلعة إن المستشار الاقتصادي للبيت الأبيض لاري كودلو سيستضيف اجتماعا مع شركات أشباه الموصلات والمسؤولين التنفيذيين في مجال البرمجيات غدا الاثنين، لمناقشة حظر الولايات المتحدة على مبيعات شركة هواوي.

يشار إلى أن وزير الخزانة ستيفن منوشين سيحضر أيضا اجتماع البيت الأبيض الذي دعيت إليه شركتا صناعة الرقاقات أنتل وكوالكوم.

وأكد مسؤول آخر في البيت الأبيض أن الاجتماع سيعقد، مشيرا إلى أن شركتي غوغل وميكرون ستحضران، وقال أحد الأشخاص الذين اطلعوا على دعوات الاجتماع إن شركة برودكوم دعيت أيضا لحضور الحدث في البيت الأبيض. كما من المتوقع أيضا أن تتلقى شركة ميكروسوفت دعوة.

وتشهد العلاقات بين الشركات الأميركية وهواوي وضعا متأزما بعد أن وضعت إدارة ترامب الشركة في القائمة السوداء في مايو/أيار الماضي، مستشهدة بمخاوف الأمن القومي.

ومنعت هذه الخطوة الشركات الأميركية من بيع معظم قطع الغيار والمكونات الأميركية إليها دون الحصول على تراخيص خاصة، لكن الرئيس دونالد ترامب قال الشهر الماضي إن الشركات الأميركية يمكن أن تستأنف مبيعاتها بشرط حصولها على تراخيص من الإدارة الأميركية.

وقال وزير التجارة ويلبر روس إن التراخيص ستصدر في حالة عدم وجود تهديد للأمن القومي.

وذكرت رويترز أن الولايات المتحدة قد توافق على تراخيص للشركات في غضون أسابيع.

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry
Tags

Related Articles

Back to top button

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Email Format
Close
Close
X